The News Site of Kamehameha Schools Kapālama

Ka Mō'ī

• Dec 7, 12:00 am

Ka Mō'ī

Ka Mō'ī

Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs Annual Convention

Kamehameha+haum%C4%81na+and+staff+after+their+first+day+of+the+convention.+
Mikala Akiona
Kamehameha haumāna and staff after their first day of the convention.

Hui after hui, oli after oli, numerous civic clubs filed into the room, signaling the beginning of the 64th Annual Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs Convention’s plenary session. Members of Kamehameha School’s Advocacy and Women’s Empowerment clubs were able to attend this convention for two days. By actively involving themselves in this conference, students were able to gain a deeper understanding of their role in shaping the future of their community and upholding the values of Native Hawaiian civic responsibility.

This week-long convention at the Hilton Hawaiian Village hosted various civic clubs from across the continental United States and Hawaiʻi. People of all ages, from high schoolers to kūpuna, gathered and discussed a Hawaiʻi that fosters the improved welfare of Hawaiians. Furthermore, attendees addressed existing issues, upcoming bills, and policies impacting Hawaiians. The conversation was comprehensive, encompassing topics such as ‘ōlelo Hawaiʻi, affordable housing, and the preservation of traditional Hawaiian values. Every word spoken at this convention contributed to the goals and policies that will be advanced during the upcoming legislative session in January.

Kamehameha Schools students and faculty sat in and participated in two sessions: Inquiring Minds of Today’s Youth and Holowa: OHA Advocacy Strategies. Each student contributed meaningful details to the discussion, whether it was their personal experiences in witnessing a decline in Hawaiian-based education or their effort to anchor themselves in their Native Hawaiian identity. They conversed with Pacific Islanders who lived thousands of miles away while learning from experienced community workers. At the conclusion of their visits, Kamehameha haumāna left with a wealth of knowledge and an exemplar of how to become more civically engaged!