The News Site of Kamehameha Schools Kapālama

Ka Mō'ī

• Dec 7, 12:00 am

Ka Mō'ī

Ka Mō'ī

Hush, Hush… Trustee Selection Process to Change in the Future?

Leināʻala Wong

Since the opening of Kamehameha Schools Kapalama, trustees have been elected to govern the school, providing the “strategic direction and focus necessary to fulfill and sustain the vision, mission, and values of Kamehameha School.”

In 1884 the first committee of trustees was elected to lead the school into success in its beginning years of establishment. The board of trustees comprised Charles Reed Bishop, Charles Montague Cooke, Samuel Mills Damon, Charles McEwen Hyde, and William Owen Smith. These leaders forged a path for all upcoming committees to take over. Since the first trustees, a lot has changed. In 1993 the first female trustee, Lokelani Lindsey was appointed to serve among four other males.

Not only has the inclusivity of both genders and ethnicities changed, but so has the system to choose members. In regards to the selection process to elect individuals into being a trustee, it seems quite unusual. As of today, the process lacks transparency in the internal system of Kamehameha schools. The court will appoint a screening committee of 7 members that will take action to finalize applications, then KS members will receive a name of the appointed position who will serve a 5-year term.

Many people have shared their hesitancy in the selection process. Shouldn’t members who serve the Bishop Estates be appointed by Kamehameha Schools authorities rather than an outside committee? Teachers and community members have filed petitions to change the system and add a little more transparency, and inclusive thoughts, similar to a presidential election or governor election. Some have been denied but continue to push forward not only for present but also future generations.